Master's and Ph.D. in Animal Sciences with Emphasis on Bioactive Products
Laboratories or Special Environments Used
The VETERINARY HOSPITAL from Universidade Paranaense - UNIPAR has an infrastructure that serves the different segments of Veterinary Medicine, with approximately 6,000 square meters of built area, divided into Sectors and Laboratories, where practical activities related to teaching, research and / or extension are done. In research activities are included the experimental works from different Research Projects, using the Veterinary Hospital structure, described below.
01. Didactic and Scientific Ambulatory of Veterinary Ophthalmology and Experimental Surgery - Provides space and physical resources for undergraduate students who study the discipline of veterinary dentistry and ophthalmology, for undergraduate scholarship in experimental surgery and for Master's students in Animal Science, who study the subject of Surgical Topics and Special Topics in Large Clinics, as well as those with experiments in Veterinary Clinic and Experimental Therapy. The lab is located in the intern hall of Block A from Veterinary Hospital in the small animal side. It’s a room with 25 square meters with the following furniture: an office table, a swivel office chair, two upholstered chairs, a stainless steel reception table, an owl for service, a metal trolley for materials and equipment, two steel cabinets with drawers for filing and storage of materials, a washbasin, a board in tempered glass, and also has a microcomputer with HV network and internet connection. The available equipment includes a magnifying glass with fixed desk lamp, Welch Allen portable indirect ophthalmoscope , a Welch Allen panoscope , a TONPEN XL flattening tonometer , a 6x magnifying flap loupe, a head lamp, a surgical box. for delicate material dressings and a 5 Megapixel digital camera.
03. Surgical Technique Room: It has a dressing area , antiseptic washbasins and a hall with eight sets of operating tables (operating table, auxiliary table and lamp), four portable inhalation anesthesia equipment, four individual oxygen sources , cabinets and digital scale.
04. Small Animal Surgical Center: It has two operating rooms, an anesthetic recovery room, antisepsis room and a premedication room. Each room is equipped with pantographic operating table, auxiliary tables, trolley/cabinet for anesthesia, trolley/cabinet with resuscitation equipment, volatile anesthesia device with monitoring equipment (heart monitor, pulse oximeter and capnograph), surgical lamp, and other instruments needed to perform most surgical procedures on small animals.
05. Large Animal Surgery Center: Consists in a pre –medication and anesthetic induction room for large animals, with padding and lateral handling hall; an operating room with a hydraulic table, lamps, auxiliary tables, benches, volatile anesthesia apparatus and monitoring equipment; and two changing rooms with cabinets, washbasins, showers, hangers and other accessories. Electro-scalpels, surgical microscopes and other instruments make the equipment used for surgical procedures in large animals.
06. Veterinary Dentistry Outpatient Clinic: It has an attendance table and auxiliary table, lamp, filing cabinet, dental radiography device, portable x-ray imaging tank, sink with countertop, dental ultrasound equipment, dental cabinet with high-speed appliance. and low rotation, dental and ophthalmic examination materials, various instruments required to perform dental procedures.
07. Veterinary Clinical Analysis Laboratory: It consists of an examination reception room (computerized system), an examination room and practical classes. Among the equipment available are microscopes, water distiller and deionizer , water bath, piano cell counter, automatic cell counter, digital biochemical analyzer, digital coagulometer , analytical balance, centrifuges, sterilization ovens, freezer, refrigerators and glassware support.
08. Infectious Diseases Laboratory: It is equipped with microscopes, laminar flow chamber, water distiller and deionizer , water bath, analytical balance, centrifuges, culture and sterilization greenhouses, freezer, refrigerators, laminar flow chamber, microscopes, glassware support, air conditioners and cabinets.
09. Laboratory of imaging test in Veterinary Medicine: It is divided into four environments: a) Veterinary Radiological Unit, with a room coated with barite to perform radiographic examinations; b) Ultrasound / Electrocardiogram Unit; c) Reporting room, with double-sided negatoscopes and computer for records and files; d) Room of radiographic revelation. In addition, there are safety equipment to perform the radiographic exams (aprons, gloves, goggles and lead thyroid protector ), leggings, screens , electrocardiograph lead screen, RX automatic development processor, Ultrasson Mylab 40 Vet.
10. Veterinary Anatomy Laboratory: It is divided into an assembly room, a vat room, a formaldehyde collection room, a hands-on laboratory, a bone collection room and a museum. These rooms have bone cabinets, skeleton countertops, greenhouse, maceration vats, hoods, stretchers, cold room, freezer, refrigerators and computer with printer.
11. Pathology Laboratory: It is divided into autopsy room with a fridge, laboratory histotechnical and laboratory of reports . These rooms are equipped with stereoscopic magnifying glass, water distiller, chapel, heating plate, microtome, freezer and computer with printer, binocular optical microscopes, capture system and scanned image analysis used in experiments.
12. Kennel: It has five rooms with individual kennels, solarium, storeroom, kitchen, hydration room, dressing room, inpatient and isolation.
13. Wild Animal Outpatient Clinic: It has a halogenized focus room, a shelving for storage of materials and equipment, and another room that works as an accommodation for the internment of animals.
14. Housing for Production Animals: Comprising 10 stalls present in the Large Animal Clinic Sector and the outside of the HV, which has 26.87 hectares divided into eight paddocks, with mobile electric fence and separated by fixed corridors, allowing the studies by doctors and professors Daniela Dib Gonçalves, Luciana Kazue Otutumi , Rosiara Rosaria, Days Maziero , Rannulf Piau Junior, Luiz Romulo Alberton and Luiz Sérgio Merlini. In addition to these structures, the Veterinary Hospital has facilities for the maintenance of research animals, such as the poultry sector, the small ruminant maintenance fold, the swine sector, the dairy cattle sector, and the development of experiments on greenhouse fish farming.
15. São José Experimental Farm: In addition to the Veterinary Hospital, researches on animal production are made on this farm, which allows cattle, sheep, goats, horses and fish, with 295.24 hectares, 11 pasture divisions, 1,200 square meters management corral, containment scale and trunk, animal breeding laboratory and beef cattle sector. The farm also has a fish industry, formed by dams, currently with 60,000 tilapia growing. OVINOCULTURE SECTOR, formed by a sheepfold and paddocks. To maximize labor, the farm has equipment such as tractor, terracing harrow, plow, grader harrow and trailer. On the farm, there are facilities for teaching and research laboratory activities. There are equipped classrooms, laboratories, teacher’s room and accommodation for researchers.
In the UNIPAR Central Library, the Animal Science PPG also has 60 computers (commonly used with other courses, including undergraduate courses) to consult the collection of the institution, as well as access to the World Wide Web.
The University Library is a basic support for the Institution to achieve its objectives, which are research and teaching. Thus, the attention paid to the acquisition and updating of the collection by the Directors, reflected in the high number of research done by Professors and academics.
The Central Library serves its users from Monday to Friday from 07:35am to 22:50 pm and Saturdays from 07:35am to 13:30pm, the Tiradentes Campus Sectoral Library serves from Monday to Friday. from 07:35am to 22:30pm and Saturdays from 07:35am to 16:00pm and the Veterinary Hospital Sector Library is open Monday to Friday from 07:30am to 12:00pm and 13:00pm to 17:18pm , specifically to the Veterinary Medicine course.
The Umuarama Campus Central Library has 3,406.42 m2, distributed between the Central Library, Tiradentes Campus and the Veterinary Hospital. The 2,091.45 m2 Central Library divides its space into a collection of books and periodicals, technical processing rooms, group and individual study rooms, teachers' study rooms, video rooms and multimedia computers. The Campus Tiradentes Sectorial Library with an area of 1,269.92 m2 is divided between books and periodicals collection, group study room, technical processing, video room and multimedia computers.
The Veterinary Hospital Library has an area of 45.05 m2, with collections in the area of Veterinary Medicine. The collection from Campus Tiradentes Sector Library is specific to the courses Administration, Architecture and Urbanism, Accounting, Social Communication, Education, Sales Management and Commercial Representations, History, Social Work, Pedagogy, Mathematics and Civil Engineering.
The Central Library is computerized by the Brain program and adopts the DDC (Decimal Dewey Classification) classification system, AACR2 cataloging code and assigns the author notation of the Cutter-Sanborn table. The UNIPAR Library book collection can be accessed on the website on Online library link. The acquisition of books and periodicals or other materials pertinent to the collection, is regularized according to the Executive Act of the Rectory, of 11/03/03, which establishes the policy of updating the collection of the Libraries of Universidade Paranaense - UNIPAR, or by appointment and request from the teacher in the bibliography of the discipline, by students and librarians selecting and indicating works through congresses, the Internet, catalogs of publishers and releases.
Services offered to users by libraries include home and local borrowing, online and print search of the Brain Program computer library and journal collection, local, regional and national newspaper searches, CD-ROMs, maps, films, theses and dissertations. Guides and prints research done by users on the internet, assists in the elaboration of projects of course conclusion and in the research and organization of bibliographies. Libraries offer computers connected to the Internet and national and foreign databases such as CAPES Portal, BIREME (Regional Library of Medicine), UNIBIBLI (Collective Catalog of Books, Theses and Serials), PUBMED, SCIELO, LILACS and MEDLINE.
Provides access to information via COMUT (Bibliographic Switching Program), allowing the user to access articles of interest, locating them and obtaining copies of documents not contained in the collection of UNIPAR libraries.
Assists in the bibliographic survey of student interest in the collection of books and journals of UNIPAR, in other university libraries and the Internet. It guides and standardizes the references according to NBR 6023 and other NBRs of ABNT (Brazilian Association of Standards and Techniques) and by the Manual of Norms and Standards for the Preparation of Scientific Documents of UNIPAR.
They plan and teach with guided visits to academics and teachers the various services provided and the best use of libraries.
Provides space for permanent arts exhibition. Sends alert bulletins of scanned journal summaries , recent acquisitions to course coordinators, and recent acquisitions to academics. Organizes and publishes publications of books and journals published by UNIPAR at events, exhibitions and on commemorative dates or issues relevant to the academic and general community.
UNIPAR Libraries have a high degree of computerization in services, especially with the largest centers of excellence in the country and abroad to access the Library collection, as it is integrated into the Internet Network, including one of its providers. UNIPAR has eight libraries with collections that can be consulted through the site www.unipar.br .
Through computers connected to the internet from UNIPAR Libraries, it is possible to perform bibliographic search through different national and international databases (PORTAL CAPES, UNIBIBLI, PUBMED, SCIELO, MEDCARIB, LILACS, MEDLINE, PAHO, WHOLIS). In addition to the possibility of developing activities using the Pearson Virtual Library Portal (AVA) with 7,280 titles.
From 2009, an area in the World Wide Web was created to provide full texts and/or summaries of the dissertations of the Stricto Sensu postgraduate courses at Universidade Paranaense. This is SESHAT - Course Completion Digital Work Library ( TCCs ), Theses and Dissertations, available at http://seshat.unipar.br/ . At this link you can access the list of dissertations defended, as well as check the summary of them and any materials attached to them. In addition, it is possible to query the base with keyword searches. In order to make it possible to obtain scientific articles located in databases, UNIPAR makes available the journals of its own collection and the Bibliographic Switching Program (COMUT), which offers the possibility of purchasing copies of articles not available in the collection of the journal. UNIPAR.
UNIPAR librarians also provide the following services: (1) assist in the bibliographic survey of student interest in the collection of UNIPAR books and journals, as well as using the databases available for access; (2) guide and standardize bibliographic references in accordance with the Brazilian Association of Standards and Techniques (ABNT), making available the Norms for Papers Collection, published by the Federal University of Paraná; (3) prepare a catalog form for undergraduate and graduate students; (4) local and home loan; (5) online and print search of the Brain Program's collection of computerized books and periodicals , research in local, regional and national newspapers, CD-ROM, maps, films, theses and dissertations.